Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sister for Sale

Ian's little sister, Lydia, is going to turn 9 months old next week, and is currently going through a very draining stranger-danger plus separation anxiety phase. Christmas was especially hard; we were away from our house, off our schedule, and with a lot of extended family she didn't know well. She wouldn't go by anyone else, not even my mom, and wouldn't be set down at all. By the second day I was at the end of my rope, at one point calling our situation "Fatal Attraction with a baby".

At home on a normal day, Lydia is a completely happy baby, as long as I don't try to put her down anywhere. I cannot empty the dishwasher, put in laundry, or make any meals without her wailing, even if she is in the same room as me! Ian has taken to plugging his ears with his fingers when Lydia is crying. I feel bad for him because while I'm constantly holding or occupying his sister, he is having to occupy himself. Ian is very easy-going, so as long as he has an activity he doesn't mind being left to his own devices. I just worry that I'm not giving enough of my attention to my child who probably needs it more than most. Hopefully Lydia will grow out of this phase soon!

Today, Justin put together a toy Lydia got for Christmas, and once it was up and going, she was very interested in it and sat on the floor at my feet and played with it for a little while. She kept looking up at me to make sure I was still there, but her butt was actually touching the floor, so it was progress! Ian seemed to like the toy too, so we put him on the floor beside his sister and they played together long enough for me to take a few pictures and a little video. It was a special brother/sister moment, both for them and for Justin and me.

I hope that as time goes on, Ian begins to see his sister as a playmate and friend, instead of a loud, crying, annoyance. She's still too young to play with him most of the time, but when they were playing together today it felt like maybe we were getting a little glimpse into the future...it looked pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment