Friday, January 13, 2012

Day of Acceptance

Another site I follow, 3E Love, is starting an International Day of Acceptance for people with disabilities. They've created a logo that is the traditional wheelchair logo, but with a heart, and are asking that people wear their logo on January 20th to support the rights of people with disabilities, and just to show love in general. I think this is a great idea, and I've bought some of their logo buttons to give out to people in Ian's life.

I can see how people not in the "special needs" community wouldn't understand days like this. Before I had Ian I probably wouldn't have given a second thought to something like this when and if I came across it on Facebook. For those of us that do have people with special needs in our lives, days like this are important and meaningful. It's a day we can hope that people are thinking about our loved one as they go about their daily life.

Right now, with Ian still so young, I'm the one out there looking for a community, for inclusion. Now, while he's young, is when I want to find that community so that when he's older and comes to me looking for it, I can show him what has been helpful for me. I know the day is coming when he will realize he is different, and possibly feel bad about those differences. I want him to know that his family and friends are there to support him, and others out there he may not even know can give support too. Groups and initiatives like 3E Love's are trying to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment