Monday, April 30, 2012

Good Help is Hard to Find

This past weekend was a first. Justin and I spent our first night away from both our kids. The total time away added up to about 19 hours, but it included the overnight, so it counts! Ian and Lydia had a great time with their grandparents, and Justin and I had a great time going out to dinner and seeing West Side Story. I also especially liked the part where we got to sleep past six in the morning.

Besides being our first night away from the kids, it was our first date night in over two years. We rarely go anywhere without the kids -- and what that really means is that we rarely go anywhere. Lydia is still very much in her stranger-danger phase, and Ian's special needs make it hard for us to leave him with anyone that isn't fully prepared. We can't just hire a high-schooler to babysit him. Besides not being able to walk or fully verbalize, he has serious gaging/choking issues with food, multiple medications that require specific dosing instructions, not to mention the catheterizing of his bladder that needs to happen every few hours. All that coupled with my anxiety over his care equals not many caretakers in his life.

This issue with his care is one I've been trying to get over (a little bit) since we've had a second child. Sending him to school for a few hours each week, and having to trust that his care needs are being met there, has gone a long way. Next year he will go to school some full days, which means he will have to eat lunch and be cathed at school, which is brand new territory for both him and me. I know it will be good for both of us, but a part of me is also dreading it, big time. For now, I will revel in the fact that I spent last weekend out having fun with my husband, and I only texted my mom five times to check on the kids. For now, that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment